1. Power on the car to IG-ON or READY. IG-ON will do for this purpose.
2. Using the Trip/ODO button, set the Trip/ODO display to ODO (not Trip A or Trip B)
3. Power off the car.
4. Now power the car to READY (brake on). This is required so that step 6 works correctly.
5. Within 6 seconds of powering on, press and hold the Trip/ODO button for 10 seconds or more.
6. WHILE STILL HOLDING ODO *after* the 10 seconds, shift the “gear”
selector from P to R, then back to P. Now release the Trip/ODO button.
7. If the last step was successful, “b on” or “b off” should be
displayed in the location where the Trip Odometer or Odometer is
normally displayed. “b on” is beep on, and “b off” is beep off.
8. Press Trip/ODO to toggle the mode.
9. Now power the car off to exit the toggle mode.
10. Power the car on to READY and confirm the reverse beep status by
shifting to R. The beep should not be audible if “b off” was selected,
and should be audible if “b on” was selected..
Note: The Repair manual page states that if the the 12v battery is
disconnected, the beep will reset to the default of on, and this
procedure will need to be performed again. The repair manual also isn't
clear that Trip/ODO should remain depressed while shifting.
Additional Note: The driver and passenger seatbelt reminder chime can
be disabled or enabled (respectively, defaults appear to be driver on
and passenger off) using similar steps. Instead of shifting from P to R
to P in step 6, simply buckle then unbuckle the appropriate seatbelt
while continuing to depress the Trip/ODO button. There is one caveat to this procedure. No one can sit in the passenger seat while attempting to complete this task.